My recipes are meant to be shared and enjoyed. I welcome you to re-post my recipes and text. I ask only that you credit me and include a link to my blog if you post any of my content.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe For Homemade Buttermilk Blue Cheese Salad Dressing


I've read in more than one blog, "Never buy salad dressing.  Make your own."  I agree.  The benefits of making your own salad dressing are numerous.  It's easy to make, you can adjust the ingredients to your taste, and you know what goes into it.  It's often, though not always, cheaper to make your own dressing.   When it's more expensive it's only because you're using better quality ingredients than the bottled stuff.  This is the recipe I made after looking at several different recipes to decide on the combination of ingredients I wanted to use.

Buttermilk Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

2 1/2 ounces good quality blue cheese
3 tablespoons buttermilk
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/3 teaspoon granulated toasted onion powder (available from Penzey's -- you can substitute garlic powder)
Tabasco sauce to taste (a couple shakes)
salt and freshly ground black pepper


In a small bowl, mix the blue cheese and buttermilk together with a fork until the mixture is semi-smooth.  Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, onion powder, and Tabasco until well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment