My recipes are meant to be shared and enjoyed. I welcome you to re-post my recipes and text. I ask only that you credit me and include a link to my blog if you post any of my content.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homemade Creole Mustard


If I knew how well this would turn out, I would have made more!


Homemade Creole Mustard Recipe

(Adapted slightly from this Creole Mustard recipe on the Nola Cuisine blog)

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or regular crushed red pepper)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup brown mustard seeds, crushed
2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch ground allspice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Steen's Pure Cane Syrup
4 tablespoons Colman's mustard powder

Sterilize a small canning jar and lid.



Bring the vinegar, Aleppo pepper, and garlic to a boil in a small saucepan.  Turn off the heat and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes, then strain the mixture and discard the solids.  Bring back to a boil, then add the mustard seeds, turn off the heat, and let steep for 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar mixture with the horseradish, cayenne, allspice, salt, sugar, and cane syrup.  Whisk in the mustard powder.

Pour into the sterilized jar, put the lid on, and process in a water bath for 15 minutes.  When cool, tighten the lid and make sure the jar is sealed.  Place in a cool, dark place and let mature for 3 to 4 weeks before using to allow the flavors to marry and mellow.

Refrigerate after opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment