My recipes are meant to be shared and enjoyed. I welcome you to re-post my recipes and text. I ask only that you credit me and include a link to my blog if you post any of my content.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

In Loving Memory Of My Daddy

Sadly, my precious Daddy died in his sleep in the early morning hours this past Wednesday.  He had defied the odds and the doctors' expectations for decades, since his first cancer diagnosis in 1967.  His positive outlook and strong spirit were an inspiration to all who knew him.  He was always a "glass half full" kinda guy.  He used to share his profound philosophical observations, things like:   Any day you're not six feet under is a good day, and, Don't sweat the small shit; everything is small shit.

He came from a humble and difficult background, but with his determination and the support of my Mother, he earned a college degree, became a business executive, and later a business owner.  I can still remember being picked up early from school in the second grade to go to my Daddy's college graduation, after the many, many years that he had attended night school (in addition to working full-time) to complete his degree.

He was so smart, not just booksmart, but human nature smart.  You couldn't pull anything over on him.  You think you're going to leave the house on a date wearing no brassiere?  Yeah -- no, ain't going to happen on eagle eye Daddy's watch! 

He was the kind of person you couldn't help but like.  He cared deeply about his family and friends, and his family looked to him for guidance.  He was the one his nephews called for help when they were in trouble.  He was the patient who'd only been at the nursing home for two months, but whose death moved many of the staff to tears.  Even when he couldn't really communicate verbally, there was such a serenity about him that you couldn't help but be drawn to him.

He was the Daddy who left work early to come to the school parking lot and make my uncooperative car start before they locked the gates.  He was the Daddy who showed me how husbands should treat their wives by the way he treated my Mother.  As children we used to say, "Ooh, mushy," when he came home from work and they kissed and danced around the kitchen.  As an adult I'm so thankful for the example my parents gave me of what a happy marriage should look like.

I'll miss my Daddy every moment of my life, but I'm so thankful that he's finally free of his earthly body and in heaven at peace.


My Daddy's Obituary:


Roy B. McDonald, 71, passed away on Feb. 16, 2011, after surviving treatment for brain cancer in 1991. Roy, a 44 year cancer survivor, was first treated for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1967 and again in 1989.


A Celebration of Roy's Life will be held at a future date.

Memorials: American Cancer Society or First United Methodist Church, 313 N. Center, Arlington, Texas 76011.

Roy was born June 28,1939, in Hunt County, Texas, to Eugene V. and Susie Fulenwider McDonald. He graduated from Mineral Wells High School in 1958 moving to Arlington in 1965 with his wife, Janna, after serving in the U. S. Army. He received his BBA from UTA in 1973. Roy was employed by Texstar Plastics for 14 years, IMI for four years, then in 1984 started a recycling company, R&D Plastics, selling it in 2003. Roy was a man of his word, a true gentleman, and a loving husband and father.

Survivors: His loving wife of 48 years, Janna, who cared for him in sickness as in health; their four children and spouses, Kearby and Gordon Rives, Alan and Ariane McDonald, Kate and Cliff Burgoyne, and Andy McDonald; grandsons, John Wisdom, Troy, Evan, Sean, and Ian McDonald, and Trey Burgoyne; granddaughter, Chandler Burgoyne; brother, Ed McDonald and wife, Loyce; brothers and sisters-in-law Pierce and Joan Chandler, and Donna and Timothy Honsinger; and many cousins, nieces and nephews.

1 comment: